Considered by many the best located tennis club in Australia , the Applecross Tennis Club was first established in 1900. Early courts were surfaced with crushed shells with the lines drawn with a stick. Often the courts were prone to flooding and a popular meeting place for ducks. Eventually the courts were raised thus ending further enjoyment for the ducks.
In 1980 the Club celebrated its 60th anniversary in the Melville Civic Centre A further celebration was held at the club to mark the 90th birthday. Many past and present members attended to mark these very special occasions. Recent research dates the club back to 1900, so the club is much older than thought. Our anniversaries are being recalibrated!!
32 The Strand